Summer Financial Aid


Summer Financial Aid

Students who enroll in summer coursework and complete the Summer Aid Application in MyRED are considered for summer financial aid. The application becomes available each year around mid-March and is available through July. Financial aid eligibility is based on the number of summer course credits enrolled, summer session(s) enrolled, and when you submit the application in MyRED.



Merit-based scholarships may or may not apply to summer, so please refer to your original scholarship guidelines sent to you when you were offered the scholarship. Regents and Chancellor’s scholarships that cover full tuition are available for the summer. Scholarships may or may not be awarded through the Colleges and Departments, depending on each unit’s policies. Some external scholarships are available during the summer, depending on the donor.

Need-Based Aid

In addition to the Summer Aid Application, you must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at Summer is considered your last term in the overall academic year, so most students will have filed the FAFSA already. The last day to complete the FAFSA applicable for summer aid is June 30th. Eligibility for the Federal Pell Grant is determined based on the amount utilized during the regular academic year and lifetime eligibility used to determine if any summer eligibility is remaining. The Summer Tuition Grant is a need-based grant available to Nebraska residents with high financial need who are freshmen, sophomores, or juniors (by credit hours) who do not receive an existing summer tuition award from any federal, state, or University program. Award amounts vary by enrollment in 3 or more credit hours of UNL coursework, including online classes, where UNL tuition and fees are assessed.

Federal Work Study

Federal work-study funding is limited as the funds are typically exhausted during the regular academic year. However, if funds are available when you are awarded, you may receive work-study funds.

Federal Student Loans

In order to qualify for federal student loans, you must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits for undergraduates) and have remaining eligibility for the academic year. You must be enrolled at the time you accept the loan – loans cannot be processed after your enrollment period has ended. You can review annual loan limits on the Federal Student Aid website at

Federal Parent PLUS Loans

In order to qualify for the Federal PLUS Loan, your parent must apply online at, be approved, and you must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits for undergraduates). The process cannot be completed after your enrollment period has ended.

Alternative Loans

Students applying for alternative loans are not required to complete the summer aid application. If a loan application is received by the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid and we require further information, we will contact the student via email.

Education Abroad

If you are interested in Education Abroad over the summer, you should first meet with an Education Abroad advisor in Love Library South, room 110. Only University-approved study abroad programs qualify for financial aid. Financial aid that is awarded to you will be released to the student account by the first day of the summer session in which you are enrolled or by the start date of your experience abroad, whichever is later. Most, but not all, scholarship and financial aid programs can be used for study abroad. We encourage you to meet with a financial aid advisor for all of the necessary financial aid steps to prepare for study abroad.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students must be meeting financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards to qualify for summer financial aid. SAP is reviewed at the end of the regular academic year (after the spring term). Students who do not meet SAP have the opportunity to appeal and should consider doing so as soon as possible to be considered for summer financial aid.