Food, Housing and Internet

Students have access to resources that provide support for food or housing insecurity, as well as emergency financial aid. Students can schedule an appointment with a Husker Hub student services specialist, email or call 402-472-2030 to discuss options.

SNAP: Food Benefits for Students

SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) is a federal government program that provides nutrition benefits to qualified individuals or families.

Visit the federal SNAP for students website to learn more about SNAP benefits and exemptions for students to qualify.

To apply and learn more about SNAP benefits in Lincoln/Lancaster county, visit the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). Apply online through ACCESSNebraska.  After applying online, a case manager will contact you for a phone interview.

You can also apply by calling the appropriate Economic Assistance office: Nebraska State Economic Assistance, 800-383-4278; Lincoln Economic Assistance, 402-323-3900; or Omaha Economic Assistance, 402-595-1258.

After your interview, you will be issued an EBT card. If you are approved for SNAP, that card will be loaded with funding once all documentation has been received.

Note: You may be asked to document your eligibility for Federal Work Study. You can document FWS eligibility by taking a screenshot of your financial aid award screen in MyRED.

Husker Pantry

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) defines food insecurity as a lack of consistent access to enough food for an active, healthy life. It is important to know that though hunger and food insecurity are closely related, they are distinct concepts. Hunger refers to a personal, physical sensation of discomfort, while food insecurity refers to a lack of available financial resources for food at the household level. 

The University of Nebraska offers a Husker Pantry location on both East and City Campus for all Huskers. Nearly 1 in 3 students on campus experience food insecurity. The Husker Pantry City Campus is located on the first floor of the University Health Center, Room 123, and the East Campus Pantry is located in the Visitor’s Center, Room 108B. Students can place their order online and select a pickup time and location. 

 Visit Husker Pantry to place an order, learn more about community resources, or discover volunteer and donation opportunities.

Housing Insecurity and Homelessness

Housing insecurity is the lack of security in an individual shelter that is the result of high housing costs relative to income, poor housing quality, unstable neighborhoods, overcrowding and/or homelessness.

Remote Learning Technology

If you do not have a personal computer to study, or a Wi-Fi hotspot, you may request an increase in your cost of attendance (COA) for the cost of a computer or other hardware necessary to study. Increasing your COA permits the option of additional loans or other types of aid to cover such cost. A cost estimate or a copy of the purchase receipt can be submitted for review. To begin the review process to request an increase in your cost of attendance (COA), contact Husker Hub at or by phone at 402-472-2030. Additionally, you can check out digital equipment from University Libraries or Information Technology Services, if interested.

University of Nebraska Information Technology Services (ITS) requires Two-Factor Authentication for all students. Students need to have a Two-Factor device. Students who do not have a smart phone can request a hardware token from ITS. In addition, there is Wi-Fi access available on campus.