Other Financial Assistance

Other Forms of
Financial Assistance

There are other types of financial assistance that may be available to you related to employment or service.

Resident Assistant & Other Housing Employment

The Resident Assistant (RA) position is a student staff member who lives and works in a residence hall on campus. RA’s are responsible for building community on their floor, providing resources to residents, developing programs, administrative tasks, attending staff meetings, and being on duty for their hall.

RA’s are supervised by a full-time professional known as a Residence Director (RD). RA benefits include housing, meals, and other benefits. For more information, visit housing.unl.edu/ra or housing.unl.edu/employment.

NU Employee/Dependent Scholarships

Full-time and retired employees may be eligible for tuition assistance through the employee scholarship program. Spouses and dependent children may also be eligible. The scholarship is limited to no more than fifteen (15) credit hours in any 12-month academic year period. The dependent scholarship allows up to fifteen (15) credit hours to be transferred by an employee to one or more dependents in any 12 month academic year period. 

This program is governed by the Board of Regents and administered by Human Resources. More information can be found at nebraska.edu/faculty-and-staff/resources. Eligible employees can allocate scholarship benefits through Firefly.

Non-resident Nebraska Income Tax Credit

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln established the Non-resident Nebraska Income Tax Credit in the fall of 1995. The credit is available to students who are non-residents for tuition purposes. It provides a tuition credit up to the amount of Nebraska individual income tax paid by themselves, an individual who claims them as their dependent, or their spouse. The credit cannot exceed the non-resident portion of tuition.

This credit is governed by the Board of Regents and administered by the Office of Student Accounts. For more information, visit https://studentaccounts.unl.edu/forms#nonresident-tax-credit.

Graduate Teaching/Research Assistantships

A graduate assistantship provides financial support for a graduate student for a set period of time during which the student is expected to pursue activities towards the advanced degree. Assistantships are competitively awarded and typically require 13 to 20 hours of service per week. Graduate assistants are required to register during the fall and spring semesters if employed during that time, but not in the summer.

Eligibility is limited to students who are enrolling in graduate degree-granting programs; non-degree students are not eligible. Assistantships are governed by the Board of Regents and administered by the Office of Graduate Studies. For more information, visit https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/funding/assistantships.

For an international student, eligibility for a teaching assistantship also requires successful completion of the Institute for International Teaching Assistants, a concentrated 90-hour program held the last week in July and the first week in August. (Exemptions may be granted based on prior English-language experience. See ITA page for details.)

Segal Americorps Education Award

The Segal AmeriCorps Education Award is a post-service benefit for individuals who complete a term of national service in approved AmeriCorps programs. The award can pay current educational expenses or repay qualified student loans. Current expenses are those incurred after the start of your AmeriCorps service. Expenses that pre-date your AmeriCorps service are not considered "current." If you have a qualified student loan to pay for expenses incurred prior to your AmeriCorps service, you can use your award to repay the qualified loan. AmeriCorps members have seven years from the date they receive the award to use it.

Information on payments for current educational expenses:

  • Payments for current educational expenses are made at the beginning and midpoint of the enrollment period upon which the payment amount is based.
  • The "eligible amount" that an institution reports must be based on verifiable and auditable documentation of these costs.

For more information about this award or to utilize your AmeriCorps benefits, visit www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/segal-americorps-education-award.

VA Education Benefits

VA education benefits help military veterans, service members, and their qualified family members with needs like paying college tuition, finding the right school or training program, and getting career counseling. Learn how to apply for and manage the education and training benefits you've earned.

VA Education Benefits

ROTC Scholarships

ROTC Scholarships from the Army, Navy and Marine Corps, and Air Force are awarded on a competitive basis to eligible students. Scholarships can vary by branch. Incoming first-year and transfer out-of-state ROTC students may qualify for a non-resident tuition scholarship called Husker Salute. Contact your ROTC branch for information.

For more information, please visit or contact:

First Responder Recruitment and Retention

The University of Nebraska is proud to partner with the State of Nebraska in supporting Nebraska law enforcement officers, firefighters/firefighter-paramedics, and their child dependents who are completing their baccalaureate degrees. Under the Nebraska First Responder Recruitment and Retention Act, law enforcement officers or firefighters may be eligible for a waiver of 100% of their resident tuition charges (after other scholarships and grants) for pursuing a baccalaureate degree program that relates to their career.

This program is available to officers/firefighters, or their dependent children, for up to five years. A law enforcement officer, for the purposes of this program, is defined as any person who is responsible for the prevention or detection of crime or the enforcement of the penal, traffic or highway laws of the State of Nebraska or any political subdivision of the state for more than 100 hours per year and who is authorized by law to make arrests. A firefighter is a firefighter or firefighter-paramedic who is a member of a paid fire department of a municipality or a rural or suburban fire protection district in this state, including a municipality having a home rule charter or a municipal authority created pursuant to a home rule charter that has its own paid fire department, and for whom firefighting is a full-time career. 

A form is available for students to apply for the First Responder program in MyRed. Contact Husker Hub at huskerhub@unl.edu or by phone at 402-472-2030 to inquire. 

Nebraska In the Line of Duty Dependent Benefit

The In the Line of Duty Dependent Education Benefit was established by the State of Nebraska for children of law enforcement officers and firefighters killed in the line of duty. In order for a child to be eligible for the benefit, the law enforcement officer or firefighter must have incurred the fatal injury on or after April 23, 2009. The benefit is for children 25 or younger and the child must meet all admission requirements. The benefit is provided to full-time undergraduate students pursuing an associate's or bachelor's degree for up to five years. The benefits waive tuition and fees remaining after subtracting scholarships and grants. For more information and to apply, visit the Office of Student Accounts at studentaccounts.unl.edu/forms.