Applying for Funding
Create a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID)
If you are a dependent student, both you and your parent will each need to obtain an FSA ID to apply for federal aid.
The FSA ID process consists of these main steps:
- Create your log-in information at studentaid.gov.
- Provide a unique username and a password.
- Enter your personal and profile information.
- Provide your name, date of birth, and Social Security number (SSN).
- Enter your contact information.
- Provide your email address and/or mobile phone number. Select the box if you would like to register your mobile phone to receive one-time secure codes if you forget your username or password. (You will be required to either provide your email address or to provide your mobile phone number and opt-in to messaging before you can proceed.)
- Enter your mailing address.
- Select your language preference.
- For security purposes, complete the challenge questions and answers.
- Confirm and verify your information
- Agree to the terms and conditions.
- Verify your email address and/or mobile phone number. This verification allows you to retrieve your username or reset your password without answering your challenge questions. Also, you can use your mobile phone number or your email address as your username when logging in to ED online systems. We’ll also be able to notify you by email of changes to your account.
File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
After creating your FSA ID, you will need to complete your FAFSA at fafsa.gov.
Receiving Your Student Aid Report (SAR)
After you file a FAFSA, you will receive an email from the Department of Education with a link to your Student Aid Report. The Student Aid Report will list the information you completed on the FAFSA and will give you some eligibility information.
Apply for Freshman Merit ScholarshipsApply for Admissions at the University of Nebraska
Once accepted to the University, submissions of new or updated academic information will be automatically reviewed and the student will be notified within 2-3 weeks via letter.
Apply for Leadership and Diversity ScholarshipsComplete your Scholarship Statement
- Monitor Email and To Do List on MyRED
- Our office will notify you by email if we need to gather documentation for your file. The Department of Education requires that we verify information on some student's FAFSAs. Types of documents we may request are tax returns and W2 forms. Please pay attention to emails from our office and review your "To Do" list on MyRED.
- Receive Financial Aid Offer, and then Accept or Decline Awards in MyRED
- Enroll in Direct Deposit of Refund, Complete Master Promissory Notes (MPN) & Entrance Loan Counseling (ELC), Complete Parent PLUS Application, Search and Apply for Jobs, Receive Funds and Pay Charges, Maintain Eligibility
- Search for Additional Scholarships