Changes in Financial Circumstances

Changes in Financial Circumstances

Changes to FAFSA Information

  • Death of a Parent: If a parent whose information is provided on the FAFSA passes away after the FAFSA is filed, the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid (OSFA) will adjust the FAFSA information to reflect only the living parent's information.
  • Separation and Divorce: If your parents separate or divorce after their information has been provided on the FAFSA, an adjustment can be made to reflect one parent's income and asset information.
  • Other Special Circumstances: When special circumstances occur that affect your or your family's ability to pay educational expenses, an adjustment to certain elements on your FAFSA is a possibility. A Special Circumstances Re-Evaluation Request is available to request such an adjustment. Other special circumstances include student or parent loss of employment, loss of employment due to disability or natural disaster, loss of untaxed income or benefits, or unusually high medical/dental expenses not covered by insurance. Circumstances not inclusive of these categories should be described in a narrative and sent, along with supporting documentation, as part of a Special Circumstances Re-Evaluation for review.

To begin the process to request a Special Circumstances Re-Evaluation Request of FAFSA information, contact Husker Hub at or by phone at 402-472-2030.

Changes to Cost of Attendance (COA)

  • Education Abroad: Students enrolled in an education abroad program approved for credit by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) may be considered enrolled for the purposes of federal financial aid eligibility. Program approval is granted by the Education Abroad Office. Students interested in applying for financial aid must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at and a study abroad worksheet available from the Education Abroad Office.
  • Purchase of Computer for Educational Purposes: Students in a program of study that requires the use of a computer may request an increase in their cost of attendance (COA) once during their program for the cost of the computer. Increasing the COA permits the receipt of additional loans or other aid to cover such cost. A cost estimate or a copy of the purchase receipt can be submitted for review. This change only impacts the opportunity for additional loan eligibility and sometimes external scholarships.
  • Student Health Insurance: The cost of University student health insurance premiums can be added to a student's cost of attendance, or COA, as requested. This change impacts the opportunity for additional loan eligiblity.
  • Additional Transportation Expenses: Transportation expenses are already included in your cost of attendance (COA). However, if you incur or will incur expenses that exceed the standardized amount already accounted for in your COA, they can be added based on verified documentation.

To begin the review process to request an increase in your cost of attendance (COA), contact Husker Hub at or by phone at 402-472-2030.