Special Circumstances

Intercampus & Joint Registration

Students who will be jointly registered at the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO),  the University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK), or the Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture (NCTA)  and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln will be funded by the institution at which they are originally enrolled and are pursuing a degree. Students considering intercampus enrollment who have federal financial aid should check with the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid prior to enrolling. 

Study Abroad Programs

Students enrolled in a study abroad program approved for credit by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln may be considered enrolled at the University for purposes of applying for federal student financial aid. Program approval is granted by the Education Abroad Office. Students interested in applying for aid must complete the FAFSA and a study abroad worksheet available from the Education Abroad Office. Contact the OSFA for additional information.

Non-Degree Graduate Program

To be eligible for financial aid consideration, students must usually be admitted into a degree program. Non-degree graduate students enrolled only in undergraduate courses as determined to be necessary by the school for enrollment in a graduate degree program may be eligible for Federal Direct Student Loan Program loans at a fifth year loan limit for twelve consecutive months. Contact the OSFA for an enrollment verification form and an instruction sheet. Your financial aid application will not be processed until this form is received. Financial aid will be based on undergraduate enrollment requirements.

Second Undergraduate Degree

A student working on a second undergraduate degree may be eligible for the Federal Work-Study, Federal Perkins Loan, or Federal Direct Student Loan Programs provided the Undergraduate Admissions Office has granted approval for a second undergraduate degree. Undergraduate satisfactory academic progress requirements still apply and may result in the student being ineligible for financial assistance.

Teacher Certification Program

Students enrolled in a Teacher Certification Program (bachelor's degree previously received) are awarded financial aid at undergraduate levels based on undergraduate enrollment requirements.


Students who plan to attend another institution for a semester/term but still complete their degree at UNL may qualify for a consortium agreement, if the coursework taken elsewhere is not offered at UNL but meets a UNL degree requirement. A consortium is an agreement between two institutions which enables a student to receive financial aid through the degree institution while attending a "host" institution. To apply for a consortium, contact the OSFA for a consortium agreement form and submit the form to the OSFA when it is complete. A student participating in a consortium agreement must be enrolled in at least one credit hour at UNL.

Death of a Parent

If a parent whose information is provided on the FAFSA passes away after the FAFSA is filed, the OSFA will adjust the FAFSA information to reflect only the living parent's information. Contact the OSFA for further assistance.

Separation and Divorce

If your parents separate or divorce after their information has been provided on the FAFSA, an adjustment can be made to reflect one parent's income and asset information. Contact the OSFA for further assistance.

Special Circumstances

When special circumstances occur that affect your or your family's ability to pay educational expenses, you are encouraged to notify the OSFA. A Special Circumstances Application is available to apply for an adjustment based on certain situations. These situations include student or parent loss of employment, loss of employment due to disability or natural disaster, or loss of untaxed income or benefit. Situations that do not fall into these categories should be described in a letter and sent, along with supporting documentation, to the OSFA for review.

Another special circumstance that may occur is related to a family's unusually high medical or dental expenses not covered by insurance. If conditions such as these apply to you or your family, contact the OSFA and request a Medical/Dental Expense Form that will enable you to apply for an adjustment to your FAFSA information.