Students studying together.

File the FAFSA at to be considered for need-based financial aid grants. Grants do not typically* require repayment and are offered to undergraduate students working on first bachelor's degree who demonstrate financial need. The grants listed below from federal, state, and institutional sources are coordinated and administered by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. 

We want to make sure all Nebraskans have access to a college education, and we don't want cost to get in the way. The University’s Nebraska Promise program was launched in 2020 amid a global pandemic. It covers undergraduate tuition at the University of Nebraska for students who meet academic qualifications and have a family income of $60,000 or less (AGI) or are eligible for the Federal Pell Grant. Visit our Nebraska Promise FAQs page for more information.

Maximize your chances of receiving the most financial aid possible by filing the FAFSA at annually, by being admitted to UNL by April 1st (extended to May 1st for 2021), completing all requested financial aid documents by June 1st!

*Note: Occasionally a student may have to pay back part or all of a grant if, for example, he or she withdraws from school early or doesn’t fulfill the requirements of the TEACH Grant service obligation.

Federal Pell Grants

Pell Grants provide a foundation of financial assistance to which other forms of aid may be added. Undergraduate students who establish eligibility for this program will receive a grant based on their estimated family contribution and the cost of attendance at Nebraska.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

FSEOG funds are awarded on a first come, first complete basis to Pell eligible undergraduate students on the basis of financial need who have a completed financial aid file prior to April 1 of the year the school year begins. These funds are awarded to students directly by the University and are limited to the funds allocated to the University by the U.S. Department of Education.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH Grant)

The U.S. Department of Education's TEACH Grant Program provides funds to students who are completing or who plan to complete coursework that is required to begin a career in teaching (undergraduates at UNL who are admitted into a Teacher Education Program meet this requirement), and who agree to teach full-time for at least four years as a highly qualified teacher; at a school servicing low-income students; and in a high-need field. Additional information can be found here.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

The Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant is a federal grant for for students whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of performing military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11. In order to qualify a student must not be a Federal Pell Grant recipient (due to having less financial need than is required to receive Federal Pell Grant funds) and must have been younger than 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time at a college or career school at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death. Eligibility is determined by the FAFSA. There is no separate application.

Children of Fallen Heroes

The Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship extends maximum Federal Pell Grant eligibility for certain students who have a Pell Grant-eligible Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and who had a parent or guardian die while serving as a public safety officer.

Grants for Priority Applicants

The following grants are awarded on a first-come, first-complete basis to qualified applicants who have a completed financial aid file and who filed the FAFSA by the April 1st Priority Date.

These programs are used to fulfill the Nebraska Promise, which is the University's affordability promise to students that provides, at a minimum, that tuition costs will be covered by federal, state, and institutional scholarships and grants during the standard fall/spring term for students who meet certain academic and family income qualifications. For more information visit new Planning for College page.

Nebraska Opportunity Grant

Grants are awarded to undergraduate students who are Nebraska residents and demonstrate financial need as defined by state statutes.

Tuition Assistance Program Grants (TAP)

Grants are awarded to full-time undergraduate students who are Nebraska residents based on financial need and academic criteria as defined by the Board of Regents.

University Tuition Assistance Grants (UTAG)

Grants are awarded to full-time undergraduate, graduate, and law students based on financial need and academic criteria as defined by the Board of Regents.

UNL Opportunity Grants (UNOG)

Grants are awarded to full-time undergraduate students who are Nebraska residents with exceptional financial need.