• To be eligible for any of the need-based programs, your financial need must be determined by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with the federal processor.
  • Each semester of the academic year, you must be enrolled at least half-time (six credit hours for undergraduate students and law students, and usually four credit hours for graduate students) in an eligible program. In most cases, enrollment status is determined by the number of credits for which you are registered on the University's census date. (Census date is the last day each semester to add classes.) Note: Federal Pell Grant funds may be available to undergraduate students enrolled less than half-time.
  • Grant funds are limited to students working toward their first bachelor's degree.
  • Your application must be made so that the FAFSA is received by the processor at least four weeks prior to your last day of eligible enrollment or June 30, whichever comes first.
  • You must be a U.S. citizen; a national or permanent resident of the U.S., the Northern Mariana Islands or the Republic of Palau; or be in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose. Citizens of the Marshall Islands and Federated States of Micronesia are eligible, if otherwise qualified, to receive Federal Pell, FWSP, and FSEOG. Permanent residents will be required to provide copies of their I-151 or I-551 card before being awarded aid.
  • You must not be in default on any federal loan (e.g., Federal Perkins, Federal Direct Loan, Federal Family Education Loan, Federal SLS or Federal PLUS).
  • You must not owe a refund on any grant funds previously allocated, or you will not be allowed to register for classes.
  • You must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree or eligible certificate program.
  • You must comply with Selective Service registration requirements (males only).
  • You must be making satisfactory academic progress.


Permanent residents and refugee students who have permanent resident or refugee visa status (form I-151, I-551 or I-94 indicate status) are eligible to apply for most federal and state financial aid. They are also eligible to apply for any type of employment.

Nonimmigrant Students

Students who have nonimmigrant visa status (indicated by F, J, L, or G visas) are not eligible for federal and state financial aid. Students on F-1 visas may be employed on campus for up to 20 hours a week during the academic year and 40 hours a week during vacation periods. Nonimmigrant students on other visas should check with the Office of International Affairs to determine if and where they can be employed.